Sunday, October 1, 2017

October 1, 2017 . Triple Creek Nature Preserve

Today I returned to Triple Creek - one of my favorite places to look for spiders.  No disappointment today -  Peucetia viridans, Naphila clavipes, Gasteracantha crancriformis, Phidippus regius, Clyclosa and Mecaphesa celer. A new strategy today.  I"m looking carefully in clumps of dog fennel for Peucetia viridans and silk blobs suggesting a Phidippus home.  I did not have to venture far from my car to find these little guys.  A great day!!



Cyclosa and her attached trash


Golden Silk Spider (Nephila clavipes)


Gasteracantha crancriformis with her web decorations (stabilimenta)


Mecaphesa celer (crab spider) hiding in a daisy


Finally I have a decent photo of Argyrodes nephilae harvesting golden silk


Argyrodes nephilae


Is this Argyrodes sp. different from A. nephilae ?


Argyrodes nephilae


Peucetia viridans


Female Peucetia viridans guarding her eggs 


Phidippus audax and her home (white silk region to the right)


Phidippus regius (female).  I found this one in a silk house, similar to P. audax.  When I opened the silk sac - she had just molted.


Phidippus regius climbing over dog fennel


One of my better photos of Phidippus regius.  You can see a reflection of the sky with clouds in her eyes.


No comments: