Friday, September 14, 2018

Sept 13, 2018: Lightning and Astrophotography

Photographing LIghtning

I have a Pluto Trigger that works quite well for water drop collisions.  I've decided to try to photograph lightning.    There was a convenient storm in the afternoon.  I set up looking out the back window through the screened area.  I got 1 success out of 322 exposures.  I saw several lightning flashes that triggered the camera but the exposure missed it.  I'm thinking that the delay between camera trigger signal from the Pluto Trigger and actually activating the shutter is too long - its the next problem to solve. 

Here is the result from the storm (18mm, f/16, 1/20 sec, ISO 100)


Encouraged by the lightning adventure, I thought I'd try more night experiments:  tracking stars.  Orion nebula



Uncropped image of the Orion nebula


No comments: